Piermont, NY

Piermont graces the shores of the majestic Hudson River and is steeped in history and natural beauty.

At the conclusion of the Revolutionary War, George Washington greeted the commander of the British forces at the Onderdonk House, along the river’s edge.

The Sparkill Creek, which flows into the Hudson just south of the pier, provided a water route inland becoming the birthplace of Piermont.

Originally named Tappan Slote, Piermont was renamed in 1839 by Eleazar Lord, First President of the NY & Erie Railroad. The Railroad built the pier one mile into the Hudson’s deep water, connecting its railroad to the steamboats destined for New York City. He extended the pier one mile to reach the Hudson's deep water and connect his rail cars with barges destined for New York City.

The dawn of the 20th century brought new industry to the village in the form of the Piermont Paper Company.  “The Mill” operated under different owners for nearly 80 years.  The mill’s massive flywheel still stands as a symbol of Piermont's industrial past and serves as a focal point in Flywheel Park, now bordered by restaurants, art galleries, shops, and the ubiquitous Hudson River.  Piermont played a major role during World War II where more than a million troops marched from Camp Shanks to board vessels destined for Europe. This is how Piermont earned the nickname “Last Stop USA”.

Piermont is truly a village of the river.  So come visit our shops, restaurants, and art galleries.  Stroll the pier or any one of our village parks, all offering picturesque views.  Hike, walk, or bike our old railroad trails or Tallman Mountain State Park.  Or stroll our streets and get steeped into our history, architecture, and historic sites.  Incredibly just 20 miles north of New York City, Piermont is, in many ways, worlds away.

The Onderdonk House

Address: 758 Piermont Avenue

This c. 1737 structure is an outstanding example of lower Hudson Valley domestic architecture, illustrating the regional preference for native stone construction in the 18th and early 19th century.  It is also representative of the transition between Dutch and English building practices.  In May 1783, General George Washington and Sir Guy Carlton, the Commander of the British forces in New York, met at the Onderdonk House before they went to the Dewitt House in Tappan, NY to negotiate the withdrawal of the British forces from New York City.  Upon returning to the HMS Perseverance, docked near the Onderdonk House, Sir Carlton honored General Washington with a 17 gun salute recognizing America’s nationhood for the first time.  (See stone marker describing the event)

 

The Flywheel

Address: Flywheel Park, Ash Street

You’d hardly know it today, but for three-quarters of a century, Piermont was truly a “factory town”.  The Piermont Paper Company started production in February 1902.  In 1920, it was bought by the Robert Gair Company of Brooklyn, which had developed new ways of folding paperboard into cartons. Three major owners followed, including Continental Can, Federal Paperboard, and Clevepak. In the early 1980’s, factory operations ceased, and the Piermont Landing Development Corporation purchased the site. The flywheel was scheduled to be demolished along with the paper factory that housed it, but it was built too well, and the wrecker’s ball just bounced off.  It stubbornly remains today as a reminder of the Village’s early beginnings – a fine example of industrial art and a fitting tribute to Piermont’s industrial past. (See information sign on site)

 

Last Stop USA & the Watch Fires

Address: Piermont Pier

During World War II, the pier was the embarkation point for over one and a half-million GIs who would fight in the European theater, and at the end of the war, the debarkation point of nearly half a million returning.  The Watch Fires begun in 1987 by the Rockland County Vietnam Veterans, are lit here on Memorial weekend.  They commemorate the fires General Washington lit atop the Palisades to warn of the movement of the British Army and signaled the cease fire ending the Revolutionary War.  (see war memorial plaques at the flagpole on site)

 

The Drawbridge

Address: Bridge Street

Located just past the Post Office and built in 1880 by the King Iron Bridge Company, the bridge is a single leaf, manually operated metal drawbridge that was raised to allow marine traffic to pass on the Sparkill Creek. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  (See the cast-iron plaque mounted above the portal)

 

Rockland Road Bridge Historic District

Address: Rockland Road between Ferdon Avenue and South Piermont Avenue

Known as “The Birthplace of Piermont”, this is the oldest and most historic area of Piermont and many of the surrounding buildings have maintained their 19th century character.  Listed on The National Register of Historic Places, the oldest house in Piermont is here and once hosted George Washington.  The district is on the National Register of Historic Places.  (See informational sign on the bridge describing the district)

 

Haddock’s Hall

Address: Ferdon Avenue and Rockland Road

Known locally as the Silk Mill, the hall was built in 1876 and listed in 1990 on the National Register of Historic Places.  It is historically and architecturally significant as a rare example of a combination of civic and commercial use.  Haddock’s Hall and the creek were the center of the Village until the arrival of the railroad, serving at times as a general store, music hall, and library.  Hasbrouck Motor Works, a manufacturer of yacht motors was established in 1900.  It was also used for village meetings.  By the mid-1920’s silk fabric was being spun.  Over the years, it produced silk ribbon and narrow fabric strips for hat bands, laces, corset bindings, parachute rip cords, and the narrow stripe down formal trousers.  During World War II, medals awarded to soldiers hung from striped ribbons made in Piermont.  Today it is a private residence.

 

The Mine Hole District and The Mine Hole

Address: South Piermont Avenue

The Mine Hole is the name of a mine as well as a district in Piermont that runs from Rockland Road Bridge to Valentine Avenue on the north side of the creek.  African Americans inhabited this area long before the Revolution. The Mine Hole itself (across from 175 S. Piermont Ave) is still a mystery as it is unknown who built it and when. Neither is it known who inscribed the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem above the entrance.  In the early 20th century, there was a freshwater spring for people and horses.  In the early 1970s, a new concrete portico and fence were installed, and the sign was restored in recognition of the site’s historic importance.

 

JFK Memorial Park and the GI Joe Statue

Address: Piermont Avenue and Paradise Avenue

This park is where the annual Memorial Day observations and other civic events are held and is located on the WWII GI’s route to the pier and embarkation to European Theatre war zones.  Note the cannon.  Found in the river many years ago by local kids, it is believed to be of Revolutionary War vintage.

 

The Piermont Train Station

Address: Ash Street and Hudson Terrace

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 1883 station was restored by the Piermont Historical Society and is now a museum of the history of Piermont. It is the only known remaining station of its kind.  For over 50 years, stationmaster Belle Kelly was the telegrapher and ticket agent servicing, at times, more than 40 trains a day.  Railroad traffic that ran from Jersey City to Nyack ended in 1966 and the tracks were removed to create the bucolic Erie Path.  (See the informational sign in front of the station.)

 

Fort Comfort Inn & Resort

Address: At Pier 701 and Buena Vista Drive

Fort Comfort Inn and Resort an early 1900s tourist attraction, advertised as a place with “…high-class service, beautiful surroundings, caters especially to tourists; open all year…”  The resort even offered night swimming with a lighted area for safety. All that remains of the popular attraction are two sets of puddingstone pillars and a crenellated battlement located on Buena Vista Drive off Piermont Ave. 

 

Piermont’s Pier and the NY & Erie Railroad

Address: The pier & landfill east of Piermont Avenue

The NY & Erie created a massive 90-acre landfill and a one-mile long pier to build its railroad and ensure that steamboats from Manhattan had sufficient high water to dock. The NY & Erie was the first major RR in the US and, in 1851, the longest in the world, traveling 447 miles from the pier to Lake Erie. Today, the pier and this landfill, encompassing Flywheel Park, the restaurants, galleries, shops and Ferry Road, are major attractions. (See the NY & Erie informational sign at the end of the pier)

 

Information not available at this time.

Yoga

Peace in Piermont

Address: 458 Piermont Avenue

Phone: 845 646-2600

Peace in Piermont is a passion project birthed from the strong desire to teach children and their families the importance of living in the present moment.

 

Jamie Surya Yoga Studio

Address: 222 Ash Street

Phone: 845 206-9532
The Jamie Surya Yoga Studio offers a variety of classes each day to fit everybody's needs. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned practitioner, there is a chance for development here.

 

Fishing

The Hudson River is teeming with fish. A New York State fishing license is required to catch all migratory fish including Striped Bass, Shad and freshwater fish caught from the Sparkill Creek. NOTE: Please observe the New York State Fish Advisories if you are planning to eat your catch.

Boating

Piermont has three marinas.  Transient dockage and other amenities are available.  There are several boat launch areas for hand carried boats (canoes, kayaks, etc.) and paddle boards.  These are 1) Parelli Park, 2) Piermont Pier near the Fred C. Sheffold Memorial Park, and 3) DEC environmental site on Paradise Avenue

 

Cornetta's Seafood Restaurant and Marina

Seafood

641 Piermont Avenue

(845) 359-9852

Paradise Canoe & Kayak

Address: 15 Paradise Avenue

Phone: 845 359-0073

 

Tappan Zee Marina

Address: 695 Piermont Avenue

Phone: (845) 359-5522

 

Krackerbox Marina

Behind Basque Tapas Bar and Restaurant

587 Piermont Avenue

 

Hiking and Walking

Tallman Mountain State Park

Address: Route 9W, Sparkill

The NYS Long Path through Tallman Mountain State Park – A half-mile stretch of the 358-mile path from the George Washington Bridge to the Adirondack Mountains. On foot, enter the park on Ferdon Avenue. By car, enter the park on Rockland Road. The NYS Long Path is marked with blue painted rectangles on trees and boulders.

Northshore Walkway to pier – Bikes not permitted. Walkers, bikes, and cars, use Ferry Rd.

 

Old Erie Path

Address: Ash Street and Hudson Terrace
Old Erie Rail Trail – An unpaved path for walkers and cyclists. going north from the Piermont Train Station, it is three miles to the new Tappan Zee (GMC) Bridge. Going south, it is one mile to Sparkill.

 

Birding

Piermont Marsh is part of the New York State birding trail. 
New York State Birding Trail

 

Please visit the Piermont Chamber Chamber of Commerce
for the best in Dining and Shopping...

www.PiermontChamber.org

Please visit the Piermont Chamber Chamber of Commerce
for the best in Dining and Shopping...

www.PiermontChamber.org